Pages

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Meet the Team week four - Kim Dellow

We 'meet' Creative Expressions Design Team member Kim Dellow in this week's Meet the Team post to find out what's inspiring her right now, which craft tool she can't do without, what she likes to snack on whilst crafting and more...


1. Introduce yourself briefly...
Hi my name is Kim Dellow and I'm an artist, crafter, blogger living in London, UK. I live with my wonderful partner David in a flat that is fast becoming overrun with arts and craft products! Yikes! I have a paper and fabric fetish but shhh! - It's a secret so don't tell anyone! You can find me on my blog, on Facebook (www.facebook.com/kim.dellow) and on Twitter (@KimDellow).


Design Team member Kim Dellow
2. How did you get into crafting?
At heart I think I've always been a bit arty and crafty. I dabbled as a kid, but didn't pursue it until about five years ago when I started making cards as a way to relax. Then I entered the Papercraft Essentials magazine Papercrafter of the Year Competition in 2008, purely on a whim and never expecting to actually win. I did win and am really lucky to still be regularly published in Papercraft Essentials and Simply Cards & Papercraft  now.

3. How would you describe your style?
Erm...I'm a bit of a Jane of all styles, master of none. I like everything from grungy to cute and try my hand at it all. But I think I'm at my happiest when I'm getting messy with colour; and playing with paper, fabric and stitch too. I love creating with recycled packaging and corrugated card.

4. Where do you draw inspiration from?
Got to say it, but everywhere! Like most arty, crafty folk I draw inspiration from any place it strikes. But I firmly believe that you have to put the hours in to make good use of that inspiration!  

5. What's your favourite technique right now?
Playing with watercolour is making me happy at the moment, I'm learning lots about this medium!

6. What's your favourite colour?
I'm a jewel colour person and teal is one of my faves. But I do try to break out of my comfort zone every once in a while to expand my colour combos.


A beautifully textured Christmas card by Kim: created using the Tim Holtz Christmas Time stamp set

7. What do you like to snack on whilst crafting?
I don't tend to snack. If I do though it would be fruit as we don't really have crisps or biscuits in the flat (they don't last long enough!). 

8. What do you do when you're not crafting?
Exploring my home town of London or trying out different cuisines, and drinking tea with my feet up.

9. Tell us a random fact about yourself...
I can touch my nose with my tongue and pick pencils up with my toes - too much detail?

10. What craft tool could you not live without?
Scissors!

11. If your flat was on fire, what's the first thing you would save from your craft room?
Yikes! Sewing machine? All my colour making materials? Sketchbooks?! Oh boy!


You can take a peek at more of Kim's stunning creations, including all of her Creative Expressions DT projects, on her blog here

Next Wednesday (31st Oct), in week five of Meet the Team, we'll be getting to know a little more about another Creative Expressions DT member. So be sure to check back here! 

7 comments:

  1. Great interview Kim, I can touch my nose with my tongue too. Shame I cannot pick pencils up with my toes though, broken toe prevents that, poor old sole me you know lol. Loved reading more about you Kim. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great article - real info about the artist as well as a tad of trivia! I have not inherited my Mum's ability to do same with tongue-nose, Kim.

    The best thing I am taking away from this read is Kim's eclectic taste in various forms of craft, but I have yet to truly fathom many of them.

    My favourite Kim-quote: "you have to put the hours in to make good use of that inspiration!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim, lovely to find out some more about you, unlike you I cannot touch my nose with my tongue or pick up pencils with my toes lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim - thanks for the info about yourself; cannot touch my nose with my tongue or pick up pencils with my toes (that must be handy!) but your crafty creations speak your real talent! Like the piece about putting in the hours - oh so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading your story - great find out more about you and love your style - look forward to more projects - Suzanne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a tough question that..."what would you save?". Makes me think I need to move my stash into a panic room! Great answers Kim. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim, Just found you and read all your page. Was delighted to see that you have a Silhouette Cameo. Whilst I was in USA this year with my daughter she bought me a Silhouette Portrait - lovely. BUT - when I come to try a more intricate design to cut it just mangles it up. I have read about the Aluminium Blade |Holder CB09 which they say works like a wonder. I have tried to find someone in this area who has a Silhouette but to no avail. I live in Farnborough, Hants. So if you know of anyone who could spare me some time I would be truly grateful. Can you please help. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete